More than 100 killed in India train crash near Kanpur The death toll following the derailment of a train in India's northern Uttar Pradesh state has now passed 100, with more than 150 injured, police say. Fourteen carriages of the Indore-Patna Express derailed just after 03:00 local time on Sunday near the city of Kanpur. Rescuers are still trying to reach the injured and recover the dead from the twisted carriages. The cause of the crash near the village of Pukhrayan is not yet known. Most of the victims were located in two carriages near the engine which overturned and were badly damaged. Rescue workers were still using heavy machinery to try to reach survivors. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted: "Anguished beyond words on the loss of lives due to the derailing of the Patna-Indore express. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. "Prayers with those injured in the tragic train accident." Mr. Modi said he had spoken to Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu, who was "personally monitoring the situation closely". On his own Twitter account, Mr. Prabhu warned that "strictest possible action will be taken against those who could be responsible for accident". He said an investigation into the crash would begin immediately and compensation would be paid to "unfortunate passengers who died and to injured". Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that India's National Disaster Response Force was overseeing the rescue efforts. Kanpur is a major railway junction and hundreds of trains pass through it every day. Train accidents are fairly common in India, where much of the railway equipment is out of date. An accident in Uttar Pradesh in March last year killed 39 people and injured 150. About 23 million passengers’ everyday use the country's vast network, the fourth largest in the world.

Prayers with those injured in the tragic train accident. I've spoken to @sureshpprabhu, who is personally monitoring the situation closely.

— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 20, 2016
SOURCE: BBC News