Nigeria election: Jonathan and Buhari sign peace deal Nigeria's two main presidential candidates have signed an agreement to prevent violence in tightly contested elections due on Saturday. Ex-military ruler Abdussalami Abubaker brokered the deal in talks between President Goodluck Jonathan and his main challenger Muhammadu Buhari. Nigeria's Peace Committee raised concerns on Monday that campaigning had been marred by hate speech. Some 800 people were killed after the disputed 2011 elections. Mr Jonathan is facing a strong challenge from Gen Buhari, with some analysts predicting a photo-finish. In 2011, official figures said Mr Jonathan won by a wide margin. Gen Buhari said those results were fraudulent, and violence broke out in his mainly northern strongholds. 'Embrace peace' On Wednesday, Nigeria's government ordered the closure of all land and sea borders to ensure a peaceful election. The BBC's Tomi Oladipo reports from the capital, Abuja, that both candidates shook hands and hugged. They called on their supporters to embrace peace, and promised to respect the outcome of the elections. But concern remains in Nigeria over whether the electoral commission is ready for the huge logistical exercise in sub-Saharan Africa's most populous state, our correspondent says. The polls were due on 14 February, but were postponed to 28 March to give the commission more time to prepare for the polls and for regional forces to regain territory from militant Islamist group Boko Haram in the north-east. Campaign group Human Rights Watch says Boko Haram had killed some 1,000 people this year alone. On Wednesday, army chief Kenneth Minimah said adequate security arrangements had been made for the polls. Anyone who caused conflict would meet "organised violence" from the security forces, he added. Meanwhile, Doha-based al-Jazeera reports that two of its journalists, Ahmed Idris and Ali Mustafa, have been detained by government forces in the city of Maiduguri, the former headquarters of Boko Haram. It quoted the military as saying the journalists, both Nigerian nationals, were operating without "protection, accreditation or due clearance". Al-Jazeera said both men had been accredited by the electoral commission to report from anywhere in Nigeria and it demanded their unconditional release. SOURCE: BBC News